Tractor trailers, also known as semi trucks or big rigs, are a constant danger on New York's roadways. Because of their much greater size and weight, tractor trailers pose a particular threat to smaller passenger vehicles. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident with a semi truck, you need to consult an experienced personal injury attorney.
Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP has successfully represented New York truck accident victims for decades. To get the settlement you deserve, call our offices today at (212) 986-7353 for a free consultation with a NY truck accident attorney.
Federal traffic statistics report that one out of every nine automobile accidents involves a big rig or tractor trailer. Following are some of the more common types of large, commercial truck accidents:
- Collisions: Passenger vehicles rarely fare well in crashes with tractor trailers. While the average automobile weighs 3,250 pounds, a fully loaded semi truck can weigh 80,000 pounds. A car traveling 60 miles per hour can come to a complete stop in approximately 140 feet, while a tractor trailer traveling the same speed requires 400 or more feet to come to a complete stop.
- Underride accidents: Because the trailer of a big rig rides so much higher than most passenger vehicles, serious accidents can happen when another vehicle rear ends or T-bones a tractor trailer and slides under it.
- Jackknife accidents: Because semi trucks consist of two or more vehicles hitched together, serious accidents can happen when the tractor loses control of the trailer. Jackknife accidents can result from a variety of causes, including malfunctioning rear brakes, icy or slick road surfaces, sudden braking, or going too fast down a hill.
- Trailer detachment: Jackknifing often results in the tractor part of a semi truck becoming separated from the trailer. Trailer detachments can also happen when a hitch fails or the trailer is improperly attached. It's easy to understand how dangerous it can be to have a multi-ton trailer careening down the roadway without a driver.
- Rollover accidents: Rollover accidents can be particularly dangerous to surrounding vehicles. Rollovers can be caused by many things, including jackknifing, overloaded or improperly loaded trailers, trailers carrying unstable cargo like hanging beef, blowouts, etc.
- Runaway trucks: Due to their weight and number of axles and tires, tractor trailers employ multiple braking systems. These include air brakes, hydraulic brakes, electric brakes, and compression release brakes (or "Jacobs Brakes"). As with all mechanical devices, brakes may fail due to poor maintenance, manufacturing, or design. Runaway trucks can be a serious traffic hazard, particularly when the big rig is going down hill and gaining speed and momentum.
Trucking commerce is a vital part of New York state's economy. Though they are dangerous vehicles, other driver must share the road with them. If you or a family member has been involved in an accident with a tractor trailer, you need to contact a seasoned New York truck accident attorney.
The New York personal injury lawyers at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP will stand up to large trucking companies and their insurers to see that you get the compensation you deserve. Call (212) 986-7353 for a free, comprehensive, and confidential consultation.
Bryce Moses represented a young woman who was run over by a garbage truck in Brooklyn that shattered her ankle in three places.
The plaintiff asserted that the injuries suffered in the collision with the truck will permanently prevent her from working.
Kenneth Halperin, Philip Russotti
Cliff Shapiro and another WRSMH attorney were able to settle a truck accident case for the amount of $3,000,000 on behalf of a 45 year old delivery man from Queens.
Victor Goldblum successfully represented a client who underwent three surgeries as the result of injuries sustained in a truck collision.
Plaintiff sustained multiple injuries when he was rear-ended by a tractor trailer while he was stopped at a traffic light.
Luigi Izzo obtained $2 million for a client who was injured after being rear-ended by a semi-tractor trailer.
Cliff Shapiro obtained a recovery for a 32-year-old male who was in the course of his employment with Access-A-Ride when his vehicle was struck by a flatbed tractor trailer.
WRSMH attorneys obtained a $1,800,000 settlement a year before trial for two plaintiffs who were injured after they were struck by a garbage truck.
Clifford Shapiro, Noah Katz
WRSMH attorneys Clifford Shapiro, Robert Bellinson, and another WRSMH attorney were able to obtain a settlement in the amount of $1,500,000 on behalf of a fifty-one year old librarian from Bronx County.
Clifford Shapiro, Robert Bellinson
This motor vehicle accident involved a 43 year old woman who was rear-ended by a New York City Department of Sanitation truck.
Michael Fitzpatrick, Clifford Shapiro
Our client, was stopped at red light when she was rear-ended by a truck. Victor Goldblum was able to obtain $1,500,000 for our client, who required surgery as a result of the crash.
The plaintiff, a 29 year old male, was injured when he was a back seat passenger of a car that was sideswiped by a commercial truck which caused the car to be pushed off of the road into a tree.
The plaintiff, an occupant of a truck, was injured in a single vehicle accident and required surgeries to the neck and back.
Plaintiff sustained injuries to his knee and spine after his vehicle was rear-ended by a truck.
Philip Russotti and Brielle C. Goldfaden obtained a $1.3 million settlement after jury selection on a trial against the City of New York, the New York City Fire Department and an FDNY employee.
Philip Russotti, Brielle Goldfaden,William Hepner
Our client in this case was a 37-year old man who was injured when his parked school bus was sideswiped by the defendants' commercial truck.
Bryce Moses and another WRSMH attorney were able to obtain a settlement in the amount of $1,150,000 on behalf of our client, a 35-year-old man from Kings County.
Our client was a 60 year old man who was stopped at a red light when defendant, who was driving a mack truck while performing garbage collection in Brooklyn, struck him in the rear.
Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP attorney settled the case of our client being rear ended by an electrical contractor truck on the Van Wyck expressway.
Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP was able to obtain a settlement in the amount of $750,000 on behalf of our client, a forty year old man from Queens County.