Property owners in New York City have a legal responsibility to keep their premises reasonably safe for tenants, visitors, and guests. This legal obligation includes not only preventing slip-and-fall accidents from occurring indoor, but also areas that are outside the building such as parking lots and garages.
Here are some of the most common causes of slip-and-fall accidents in parking lots and garages:
- Uneven pavement and potholes: Large holes and deep cracks in the pavement can result in slippery puddles and dangerous tripping hazards. Property owners must make every effort to fill potholes and to even out large cracks. When a part of the parking area is particularly dangerous and repairs cannot be made right away, property owners must place warning signs around the hazards to warn visitors.
- Snow and ice: In New York City, we often have icy conditions for several months a year. During the winter, property owners must do their part to keep the parking area clear of snow and ice.
- Oil and other slippery substances: When a car leaks oil, the property owner is responsible for discovering the hazard and making sure it is cleaned up in a timely manner.
- Cracked steps: Stairs and stairwells in parking structures are particularly dangerous for pedestrians. Property owners and managers must make sure there are properly maintained railings and that slip-resistant materials are placed on the edge of steps.
- Poor lighting: It is easier to avoid dangerous conditions when you can see where you are going. Property owners and managers must make sure that their premises are well lit. Doing so can help prevent slip-trip-and-fall accidents.
If you are injured in a slip-and-fall accident on someone else’s property, please do not hesitate to research your legal options. An experienced New York City slip-and-fall attorney can help you get the support for damages including medical expenses, lost wages, hospitalization, rehabilitation, and pain and suffering.
Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP can help. Contact us today at (212) 986- 7353 .