Anyone who's lived in New York City or any other large metropolitan area knows the difficulty of finding street parking. As a result, drivers often park in parking lots or parking garages. While these parking facilities are convenient, they can also be costly and dangerous. If you or a family member has been injured while in a parking lot or garage, you may be entitled to compensation for damages. To find out if you have a viable claim, you need to consult an experienced NY premises liability attorney.
Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP has successfully represented injury victims for over 50 years. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on their behalf.
To get the settlement you deserve, call us at (212) 986-7353 for a free consultation.
If a parking facility's owner is found negligent in their duty of care, the slip and fall victim can pursue any of the following damages:
- All medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation costs
- Permanent injury or disability
- Household modifications (such as wheelchair ramps, etc.)
- Punitive damages
Most parking facilities are owned by large companies represented by large insurance corporations. If you or a loved one is injured at a parking facility, you need to be represented by a skilled personal injury attorney. Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP has over five decades of experience in fighting for the rights of injury victims and their families.
New York law states that parking facility owners have a duty of care (obligation) to keep their premises "reasonably safe." This means that they or their staff needs to conduct regular inspections of the facility and identify and repair dangerous conditions. The legal term for this duty is "premises liability," meaning a property's owner is liable if they allow unsafe conditions to exist.
If you or a family member has been injured while in a parking lot or garage, you may be entitled to compensation for damages.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 9,000 pedestrians are injured or killed in parking lots or garages each year. The most widely reported accidents happening in parking lots or structures are slip, trip and fall accidents.
The following conditions are often contributing factors to slip and fall accidents at parking facilities:
- Pavement conditions: This includes cracked and uneven surfaces; oil or other slippery substances on surfaces; debris; ice, snow, or rain on surfaces; damaged or dislocated wheel stops.
- Inadequate lighting: Insufficient lighting is a major cause of slip and fall accidents. A parking facility's owner has a duty to make sure lighting is sufficient for pedestrians and drivers, and replace burned out lights in a timely manner.
- Unsafe stairways: Damaged steps and damaged or nonexistent stairway railings.
- Poor or confusing signage: Parking facilities have a duty to clearly mark exits, as well as have properly placed stop, yield, one way, etc. Signs.
- Inadequate staffing: This includes having enough trained maintenance, security, and other necessary staff on duty during operating hours.
To get the compensation you deserve, call our New York personal injury lawyers at (212) 986-7353 to schedule a free consultation. We get results.
- Common Causes of New York Parking Lot and Garage Slip-and-Fall Accidents
- Who is Responsible for a New York Parking Lot or Garage Slip-and-Fall Accident?
NY Parking Lot or Parking Garage Injury Verdicts & Settlements
$2,650,000 - Motorcyclist Parking Garage Injury
$1,750,000 - Slip and Fall in Icy Parking Lot
$1,450,000 - Slip and Fall on Snow and Ice
$775,000 - Trip and Fall in a Parking Lot
$315,000 - Injury in Department Store Parking Lot