The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that falls are a leading cause of injury in the U.S. Over all age groups, falls are the 3rd leading cause of accidental injury-related fatalities, with 32,000 people dying as a result of fall injuries in a recent year.
Accident victims who were injured in a fall on a stairway could blame the fall on their own carelessness or clumsiness. In truth, flawed stair design and other safety hazards may be the underlying cause of a great number of stairway/step fall accidents. These accidents can result in serious injuries, or in the most tragic cases, loss of life. The injured person, or the family left behind, have the right to file a claim or lawsuit to seek compensation from all responsible parties. If you have been injured in a dangerous stairway or step fall accident on another party’s property, the right thing to do is to speak with a NY premises liability lawyer as soon as possible.
Our New York City personal injury attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP have been helping injured people for decades, and have established a favorable reputation for our work in this area of the law, and for achieving high value verdicts and settlements. We have been named among the Best Law Firms by U.S. News & World Report, and our attorneys have been listed among Super Lawyers® and are members in the elite Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Most adults weigh much more than 100 lbs., and in a fall down the stairs, the weight of the body can create a tremendous impact. Some of the common causes of accidents that take place on stairways in New York City include the following:
- Defects in the stairway, stairwell, or stairs
- Dangerous risers
- Debris in the stairway
- Defective handrails or railings
- Inadequate lighting
- Faulty or damaged steps
- Worn or slippery surfaces (carpet or wood)
- Wet or icy outdoor stairs
After a dangerous stairway or step fall accident, you will want a law firm with a proven history of success to represent you in your claim for compensation. Our firm has obtained hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients over our years in practice. Our results in dangerous stairway/step fall accident cases include:
- $10.7 million for a woman who fell down a flight of stairs at work and suffered paralysis resulting from brain herniation after she was kept waiting more than 2 hours for a CT scan in the emergency room. Surgery was not performed until she had already gone into a coma and required resuscitation, more than 4 hours after her arrival in the emergency room. Our client, who was left paralyzed on her left side and confined to a wheelchair, sued for medical malpractice.
- $1 million settlement for a 51-year-old tile and marble setter who opened a door leading into a stairway on a construction site, stepped down, and encountered a 10-inch drop rather than the immediate footing that should have been present. The drop existed as the hallway floors had been raised up during construction -- but not the stairway landing. Our client fell to the floor, tearing a rotator cuff and the meniscus in his right knee, both of which required surgery. He also suffered a herniated lumbar disc.
If you have been hurt in a dangerous stairway/step fall accident, you need an award-winning law firm you can count on to handle your injury case with compassion, dedication, and to employ an aggressive approach when negotiating the terms of your settlement, or at trial if necessary. Contact a New York slip and fall attorney at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP today for a free case consultation. We can be reached at (212) 986-7353.
- Dangerous Fire Escapes and Stair Railings
- Be Careful of These Common Causes of Staircase Slips and Falls
NY Stairway and Step Fall Accident Verdicts & Settlements
$10.7 Million - Stair Fall Injury/Medical Malpractice | read more
$1 Million - Construction Site Stairway Fall | read more
$794,000 - Trip and Fall | read more
$450,000 - Fall Down Flight of Stairs at Hotel | read more
$370,000 - Stairwell Fall Construction Accident | read more
$310,000 - Trip On Stairs | read more
$300,000 - Work Injury on Staircase | read more
$280,000 - Marble Stairs Fall Injury | read more
$275,000 - Staircase Slip and Fall Accident | read more