Compensation for Falls Due to Hazardous Steps and Stairways in New York
The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that falls result in dangerous injuries for thousands of people across all age groups every year. In fact, falls are the third leading cause of accidental injury-related fatalities, with 32,000 people dying as a result of fall injuries in a recent year.
When it comes to stairway falls, flawed stair design and other safety hazards are the underlying cause of numerous accidents. These accidents can result in serious injuries, or in the most tragic cases, loss of life. The injured person or the family left behind has the right to file a claim or lawsuit to seek compensation from all responsible parties.
Our New York City personal injury attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP have been assisting people injured in accidents caused by someone else’s negligence for decades. We have established a favorable reputation for our work in this area of the law, and we’ve won several high-value verdicts and settlements. Our attorneys have been named among the Best Law Firms by U.S. News & World Report, and we’re recognized by Super Lawyers® and the elite Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
If you’ve been injured in a dangerous stairway or step fall accident on another party’s property, call (212) 986-7353 to speak with our NY premises liability lawyers right away.
What Causes Dangerous Stairway and Step Fall Accidents?
During a fall down a flight of stairs, the weight of your body can create a tremendous impact. Frequent causes of stairway accidents in New York City include:
- Defects in the stairway, stairwell, or stairs
- Dangerous risers
- Debris in the stairway
- Defective handrails or railings
- Inadequate lighting
- Faulty or damaged steps
- Worn or slippery surfaces (carpet or wood)
- Wet or icy outdoor stairs
How Can Your Personal Injury Attorney Help?
Stairways are a common part of everyday life. They can be found in various types of buildings, including schools, offices, apartment buildings, shopping centers, hospitals, and homes. If you were harmed in a stairway fall caused by unsafe conditions, your personal injury attorney will investigate the accident.
Landlords, homeowners, business owners, and management companies must be proactive about checking their property for hazards. They can all be held liable for failing to repair hazardous stairways in a timely manner.
If the property owner should have known about the unsafe conditions that caused your injuries, your attorney will file a claim to help you get the money you need to recover the cost of your medical treatment and other expenses resulting from the accident. This may include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Assisted living care
- Home ramps and vehicle lifts to accommodate wheelchairs
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Wrongful death
Case Results from WRSMH
After a dangerous stairway or step fall accident, you’ll want to find a law firm with a proven history of success to represent you. Our firm has won hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients. Results from our dangerous stairway/step fall accident cases include:
- $10.7 million for a woman who fell down a flight of stairs at work and suffered paralysis resulting from brain herniation after she was kept waiting more than two hours for a CT scan in the emergency room. Surgery was not performed until she had already gone into a coma and required resuscitation, more than four hours after her arrival in the emergency room. Our client, who was left paralyzed on her left side and confined to a wheelchair, received a settlement for medical malpractice.
- $1 million settlement for a 51-year-old tile and marble setter who opened a door leading into a stairway on a construction site, stepped down, and encountered a 10-inch drop rather than the immediate footing that should have been present. The drop existed as the hallway floors had been raised up during construction — but not the stairway landing. Our client fell to the floor, tearing a rotator cuff and the meniscus in his right knee, both of which required surgery. He also suffered a herniated lumbar disc.
Were You Harmed in a Stairway Accident?
If you have been hurt in a dangerous stairway/step fall accident, you can count on our award-winning trial attorneys to handle your case with compassion, dedication, and tenacity.
Call (212) 986-7353 today for a FREE consultation. At Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP, we’re on your side.
- Dangerous Fire Escapes and Stair Railings
- Be Careful of These Common Causes of Staircase Slips and Falls
NY Stairway and Step Fall Accident Verdicts & Settlements
$10.7 Million - Stair Fall Injury/Medical Malpractice
$1.9 Million - Woman Fell Through Stairs
$1 Million - Construction Site Stairway Fall
$850,000 - Fall on Staircase
$794,000 - Trip and Fall
$745,000 - Slip and Fall at NY Apartment
$700,000 - Staircase Trip-and-Fall
$450,000 - Fall Down Flight of Stairs at Hotel
$370,000 - Stairwell Fall Construction Accident
$310,000 - Trip On Stairs
$300,000 - Work Injury on Staircase