We all want to think that insurance companies, especially our own, are there to protect us and our best interests, but that is not typically the case.
Insurance adjusters and companies have two goals: maximize profits and minimize compensation payouts. To do this, they will do everything they can to settle with you for less than you deserve or even completely deny your claim. If you’ve been dealing with an insurance adjuster after an auto accident or other incident, stay aware of these warning signs. If the insurance company is doing any or all of these things, they are trying to manipulate you. In that case, you may want to get an attorney on your side. The insurance company may become much more cooperative once they realize they have to deal with a lawyer instead of you.
Warning Signs of Bad Faith
Remember that you are entitled to fair compensation for a valid insurance claim and none of these actions is appropriate behavior from an insurance company:
- Refusing to forward your call to the appropriate adjuster.
- Transferring your calls to various different people.
- Telling you that you won’t get any compensation if you talk to an attorney.
- Denying compensation with no basis, or a fraudulent one, for that denial.
- Delaying action on your claim with no basis, or a falsified one, for that delay.
- Failing to promptly reply once notified of a valid/covered claim.
- Requesting unnecessary and burdensome documentation not required by the policy terms.
- Pressuring or harassing the claimant to settle for an amount lower than which they are entitled.
- Cancelling the policy as a result of the claim.
We Can Help!
If you’re having issues dealing with an insurance company on your own, legal representation can make a world of difference. For more information about your rights and options, call the NY bad faith insurance attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP at (212) 986-7353. You can also visit our website at https://www.wrshlaw.com/ and fill out an online contact form to schedule a consultation.