Losing a loved one in an accident is a traumatic and terrible experience. In addition to the grief and heartache you may be going through, you also may have to deal with a number of expenses you weren’t prepared for. There are expenses that can add up very quickly. This is why it is advisable for families who have lost someone in a New York City auto accident to research their legal options. Depending on the cause of the accident, financial support may be available to help you cope with a new financial situation.
Before discussing the potential value of your wrongful death claim, it’s important to understand the definition of “wrongful death.” Not all deaths are classified as a wrongful death. A wrongful death is one that is caused by the negligence or wrongdoing of another person or entity.
If you can prove that your loved one was killed by the carelessness or recklessness of someone else, then you can pursue financial compensation for your tragic loss. Damages that you can seek compensation for with a wrongful death claim include:
- Medical bills If your loved one survived the accident long enough to receive medical attention before they died, you can seek compensation for all of the medical bills related to the incident.
- Funeral expenses A portion of the funeral burial fees should be covered by a wrongful death claim.
- Lost wages A successful wrongful death claim should include compensation for the wages the victim would have earned had they not been killed in the accident.
- Loss of consortium You can receive monetary compensation for your loss of companionship and association with the victim.
- Pain and suffering The court will take into consideration the suffering endured by the victim before they died.
- Other related damages You can also seek support for lost benefits, loss of inheritance and a number of other related losses.
Each case is different. It’s difficult to say how much your wrongful death claim may be worth. You’ll need to discuss the specifics of your case with a skilled New York City wrongful death attorney. Contact Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP at (212) 986-7353 to talk about your situation.