Winter is coming to New York again, and the cold weather is already here. While few places beat New York in the winter, drivers must stay aware of the dangers they face on the road due to cold weather. Rain, snow, and freezing wind all create unique hazards on the road that can result in devastating accidents in mere moments.
If you regularly drive, stay aware of the following road hazards in New York and how they may endanger you on the road.
- Icy Roads – It doesn’t have to rain for roads to become icy. Often, when temperatures reach freezing, the moisture in the air can condense and freeze on the pavement. New York City and other coastal cities are even more likely to have freezing roads, since their closeness to the ocean puts even more moisture in the air.
- Snow Drifts – Much of New York will experience heavy amounts of snow over the next several months. While snow plows and residents will be working overtime to keep the roads clear, this cannot keep all snow off the roads. Snow drifts may block traffic or trap vehicles, leading to serious collisions.
- Low Visibility – Fog, rain, snow, and mist will be a consistent presence throughout the cold weather months. These can seriously limit your vision, even to the point of only being able to see a few feet ahead. Remember to slow down, turn your lights on, and stay alert.
- Changing Conditions – If you are traveling or commuting in New York state, chances are that you will encounter changing road conditions from city to city. Some places may have been hit harder by the cold and roads can quickly change from clear to icy to snow covered. Bring snow chains and keep an eye on road conditions.
- Freezing Fluids – At night, temperatures will often reach the freezing point. Make sure to park your cars inside and swap out fluids for winter weather-resistant versions. If you do not, these fluids can freeze, preventing your car from starting and damaging fluid lines and possibly the engine block.
If you have been involved in an accident that was caused by someone else, such as a driver who recklessly ignores the dangers on the road or a government agency that did not properly maintain road conditions, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. To learn more about your rights and legal options, call Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP at (212) 986-7353 and receive a no-cost consultation from a successful New York car accident lawyer.