When you watch TV or movies, you often see an “expert witness” play a big role at a dramatic trial. Entire cases either get won or loss by the expert witness dropping key information. Law and Order, A Few Good Men, and even a comedy like My Cousin Vinny show the role of the expert witness. Expert witnesses provide in-depth analysis to assist attorneys by strengthening, or even proving, your case. Below is a little bit more to know about expert witnesses.
Who are Expert Witnesses in New York Car Accident Cases?
Expert witnesses are people the court sees as having the training or work experience to speak about a subject in depth. For example, someone injured in a car accident might have a medical expert look at the facts and determine if the accident caused the injuries.
Medical experts are just one type of expert witness that can help your case. Here are the most common types of expert witnesses:
- Medical Expert: A medical professional called to review your injury and give a report. The type of medical expert your case may need depends on your injury.
- Mental Health Expert: A medical health expert can report how your injury affected your mental or emotional health. A mental health expert can also report about your quality of life.
- Safety Expert: An engineer or highway safety expert can analyze the road or traffic conditions that played a part in your accident.
- Accident Reconstruction Expert: A person experienced in building a timeline of events that led to the accident.
- Economist: Missing time off work because of your accident can leave you and your family struggling financially. An economist can calculate wages lost because of your injury and any financial issues that you can expect.
How a New York Car Accident Attorney Can Help You
If you’ve been involved in a New York car accident, you need an experienced car accident attorney. Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP has helped many victims recover and restart their lives after car accidents. Contact us today to at (212) 986- 7353 to discuss your next steps.