Large trucks play a crucial role in New York’s economy. They are vital for the transport of goods and services across the state. However, their presence on our roadways can pose significant threats.
Trucking plays a vital role in the United States economy, but trucks pose significant risks to others sharing the streets, roads, and highways. According to the National Safety Council, In 2021, large trucks were involved in 5,700 fatal crashes, marking an alarming 18% increase from 2020 and a 49% increase over the last decade.
If you have been injured in an accident involving a large truck in Queens, it is in your best interest to seek experienced legal counsel. With over 50 years of experience, Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP has been recognized by Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers, a testament to our commitment to excellence. We have won over $1 billion for our clients and are ready to fight for you.
Call our Queens auto accident lawyers at (212) 986-7353 to learn more about your options under the law.
Truck accidents can occur due to various factors, including:
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Improper maintenance
Unfortunately, many trucking companies encourage drivers to skirt regulations to increase profits. These illegal practices can lead to severe accidents. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has instituted strict regulations for truck operators to help ensure safety.
Trucking accidents can occur due to various reasons, and many of these are often linked to trucking company negligence. Here are some examples of negligence causing truck accidents:
- Inadequate Maintenance: Trucking companies are responsible for maintaining their vehicles in good working condition. Failure to do so can lead to mechanical failures that cause accidents.
- Pressure to Adhere to Strict Deadlines: Sometimes, trucking companies may pressure their drivers to adhere to strict deadlines, leading to fatigue or rushed driving that can result in accidents.
- Ignoring Bad Weather and Road Conditions: Truck drivers need to adjust their driving according to the weather and road conditions. Failure to do so can increase the risk of accidents. They may also feel pressure to adhere to deadlines and thus ignore the bad weather.
Truck accidents often result in more severe injuries compared to car accidents due to the significant size and weight of trucks. Some of the most common injuries sustained in truck accidents include the following:
- Head and Brain Injuries: These can range from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Such injuries can lead to long-term cognitive impairment, memory loss, and other neurological issues.
- Neck and Back Injuries: These can include whiplash, herniated discs, and spinal cord damage. Severe cases can result in paralysis.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can cause temporary or permanent paralysis, affecting mobility and quality of life.
- Burns: Trucks often carry hazardous materials that can ignite during a collision, leading to severe burns.
- Internal Injuries: These can affect vital organs such as the heart, lungs, kidneys, and liver and can be life-threatening.
- Broken Bones and Fractures: Due to the force of impact in a truck accident, victims may suffer from broken bones and fractures, which can require surgery and extensive rehabilitation.
- Amputations and Disfigurement: In severe accidents, victims may need to have limbs amputated or may suffer from disfigurement.
Truck accident injuries are often more severe than car accident injuries because of the significant size and weight difference between cars and trucks. A fully loaded truck can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, while an average car weighs around 3,000 pounds. Therefore, even a low-speed collision with a truck can result in serious injuries or death.
Victims of truck accidents may suffer from catastrophic injuries or even death. If you’ve been in such an accident, you may be eligible to pursue compensation for various damages. Damages in truck accidents often include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
If you’ve sustained injuries in a truck accident, it’s important to seek professional legal guidance when pursuing a claim for compensation. An experienced Queens personal injury lawyer can guide you through the complex legal process, help determine liability, and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Trucking companies carry large insurance policies due to the dangers their vehicles pose. Keep in mind that insurance companies are in business for profit and will likely give you a lowball offer that doesn’t come close to covering the extent of your damages.
The attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP have been fighting for the rights of New York injury victims for decades. We can negotiate skillfully with insurance companies and deal with any other parties involved to help you achieve a favorable outcome.
If you have been injured in an accident involving a large truck, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. The Queens truck accident attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP are here to provide you with the skilled legal counsel and strong representation you need.
With over 50 years of experience, our Queens legal team is dedicated to helping clients achieve maximum compensation, and our track record can attest to our success. We will do everything in our power to help you get the justice you deserve and protect your rights every step of the way.
Call us at (212) 986-7353 to schedule a free initial consultation.