Personal injury is a legal term meaning an injury to the body, emotions, or reputation, as opposed to property damage. It can apply to any injury caused by one person or entity to another, provided the injury was caused by negligent, reckless, or intentional behavior or any action covered by strict liability.
Our Queens personal injury attorneys have a successful track record for our clients. We have recovered more than $1 billion in settlements and verdicts. Our firm offers experience, compassion, and results. If you have been seriously injured through the negligence or wrongdoing of another, schedule a free consultation to find out how we can help.
Many different types of accidents and injuries can give rise to personal injury claims. Common types include:
- Construction site accidents: Construction is one of the most dangerous industries for workers. Third-party contractors, property owners, equipment, or tool manufacturers may be held liable for construction accidents caused by their negligence.
- Car accidents: The force of impact when two or more vehicles collide can cause serious injuries to occupants. Most car accidents are caused by some type of driver negligence. Driving behavior that commonly leads to car accidents includes speeding, aggressive driving, distracted driving, and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Truck accidents: When a 4,000-pound passenger vehicle collides with an 80,000-pound 18-wheeler, occupants of the smaller car are likely to suffer serious or fatal injuries. Many truck accidents are caused by truck driver or trucking company negligence.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycles are smaller, less visible, and less stable than four-wheeled passenger vehicles. Many motorcycle crashes are caused by other drivers who either fail to register the motorcycle in the roadway or misjudge its speed and distance.
- Bicycle accidents: Bicyclists are hit by cars and seriously injured every day. Many of these accidents involve driver negligence, such as speeding, failure to yield the right of way, turning without signaling, and impaired driving.
- Pedestrian accidents: Pedestrians are completely unprotected and vulnerable to severe or fatal injuries when hit by motor vehicles. Pedestrian fatalities are on the rise, as reported by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA). In the first half of 2022, drivers in the U.S. struck and killed 3,434 people.
- Medical malpractice: Medical error is a leading cause of injury and death in the U.S. A total of $3,134,990,950 was paid out for medical malpractice claims in 2021, as stated in the Diederich Healthcare 2022 Medical Malpractice Payout Analysis.
- Wrongful death: When a person is killed through the negligence or wrongdoing of another, surviving family members of the deceased may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim. This is a legal way to seek justice for a deceased loved one, hold responsible parties accountable, and seek compensation for the family’s future.
A party whose negligence, recklessness, or intentional actions caused injury or death to another may be held liable in a personal injury claim. Our seasoned Queens personal injury lawyers can investigate your accident or injury to determine fault and liability and help you pursue compensation from responsible parties. In the case of wrongful death, you may be eligible to file a claim if you are the spouse, child, or parent of the deceased or the personal representative of the estate.
If you or your loved one has suffered personal injury or wrongful death, contact Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP at (212) 986-7353. Our firm has more than 50 years of experience.