Traffic is almost always heavy in New York City, and car accidents are a common occurrence in Queens. They can happen on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, on other roads, at intersections, and in parking lots or garages. Many drivers find the streets in Queens confusing, which can increase the risk of a crash. If you have been hurt in a wreck that was someone else’s fault, speak with a Queens car accident lawyer.
Many factors can contribute to car accidents, including hazardous road conditions, inclement weather, and mechanical failure. Most traffic crashes are caused by some form of driver negligence. Ways car accidents in Queens occur include:
- Rear-end collisions: This type of crash is common in heavy traffic near intersections, but deadly rear-end collisions can also occur at highway speeds. Contributing factors include speeding, following too closely, and distracted driving.
- Rollovers: When a vehicle rolls over, the roof can be crushed, causing head, neck, back, and spinal injuries to occupants. Rollovers can happen when a tire hits a curb or another object, causing the weight of the vehicle to shift to one side. Speeding around curves or taking a turn too fast can also cause a vehicle to roll over.
- T-bone collisions: Also known as side-impact collisions, these accidents happen when one vehicle broadsides another, typically at intersections. T-bone collisions are often caused by drivers who run red lights, stop signs, or turn left at intersections into the path of oncoming vehicles. This behavior is more common among drivers who are speeding or driving aggressively, distracted, or impaired.
- Head-on collisions: When two vehicles collide head-on, it can cause an enormous impact and a wide range of severe injuries. Most head-on collisions are caused by drivers going the wrong way on a one-way road or crossing the yellow line into oncoming traffic. Factors that contribute to this type of crash include driver intoxication, fatigue, distraction, or confusion.
Car accidents can cause many types of injuries, ranging from mild to fatal. Vehicle occupants can suffer injuries when the body strikes an object in the vehicle. Impact injuries can result in whiplash, internal organ damage, spinal cord injury, head trauma, brain injury, and bone fractures.
Drivers and passengers may also suffer penetration injuries, such as severe lacerations caused by broken glass or metal sheared from the frame of the vehicle. Another cause is loose items in the car that can become projectiles, causing puncture wounds in a crash. Examples of such items include pens, glass bottles, aluminum cans, and coffee mugs.
You may be able to recover compensation for injuries you have suffered by filing a claim with an insurance company. Another option is to file a lawsuit in civil court against the at-fault party. Damages you are entitled to claim will depend on the circumstances and the nature and severity of your injuries. Common damages in car accident claims include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages or earnings
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Property damage and loss
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death
Your best chance of recovering full compensation for your losses is to have an experienced personal injury attorney handling your claim. Our seasoned Queens personal injury attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue the compensation you deserve. Call us to schedule a free consultation at (212) 986-7353.