A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a disruption in the normal function of the brain that can be caused by a forceful bump, blow, or jolt to the head, or from an object that pierces the skull and impacts the brain tissue. It can range from a mild concussion to severe injury that results in prolonged unconsciousness or amnesia. Living with a TBI can lead to a lifetime of physical, cognitive, emotional, and behavioral changes that can impact a person’s ability to function in their everyday life.
If you or a loved one has sustained a TBI, it’s essential to seek legal help from a Queens brain injury lawyer as soon as possible. Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP is a trusted law firm with over 50 years of experience. We have recovered over $1 billion for our clients.
Call us today at (212) 986-7353 to discuss your case with a free consultation.
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is usually caused by a forceful blow or jolt to the head or body or from an object that pierces the skull and enters brain tissue. More severe cases can result in bruising, torn tissues, bleeding, and other physical damage to the brain.
Common causes of TBI include falls, car accidents, and strikes or blows to the head from or against an object. It’s also possible for a TBI to occur due to traffic accidents, assaults, falls, and accidents at home or at work. It’s important to note that TBIs are one of the most common causes of disability and death in adults. Therefore, it is crucial to seek immediate medical attention if you suspect a TBI.
- Construction Site Accidents: Construction sites are hazardous environments with a high risk for accidents such as falls from heights, being struck by objects, or accidents involving heavy machinery. These incidents can easily lead to TBIs.
- Car Accidents: High-speed collisions and even low-speed crashes can cause TBIs. The force of the impact can cause the brain to move within the skull, resulting in injury.
- Truck Accidents: Due to their size and weight, trucks can cause devastating accidents. A collision with a truck can cause a severe jolt to the head, leading to TBI.
- Pedestrian Accidents: If a vehicle hits a pedestrian, the impact can cause the pedestrian to hit their head on the vehicle or the pavement, leading to a potential TBI.
- Bicycle Accidents: Cyclists are vulnerable road users, and a fall from a bicycle or collision with a vehicle can cause a TBI.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcyclists lack the protective shell of a car, making them more vulnerable to TBIs in the event of an accident.
- Medical Malpractice Cases: In some cases, a medical professional’s negligence can lead to a patient suffering a TBI. The injury may occur during surgery or after if a patient’s symptoms are not correctly diagnosed or treated.
- Wrongful Death: In these tragic instances, a TBI could be a contributing factor to a person’s untimely death.
Liability in TBI cases is usually determined based on negligence or recklessness. If a person or entity failed to act reasonably under the circumstances and that failure led to the accident causing the TBI, they could be held liable. This involves gathering evidence, consulting with experts, and building a strong case to prove fault.
TBI is one of the most devastating injuries one can suffer from an accident. It can lead to permanent disability, requiring ongoing medical care and rehabilitation. Other common catastrophic injuries include spinal cord injuries, severe burns, and amputations. Victims of these injuries may be eligible for compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
An experienced Queens personal injury attorney can help TBI victims navigate the complex legal process of filing a claim for compensation. Your attorney can gather necessary evidence, consult with medical experts, and negotiate skillfully with insurance companies.
Insurance companies are in the business of saving money and will likely make you an offer that does not cover the full extent of your financial, physical, or emotional damages. An experienced attorney can calculate the total cost of your damages, fight for the most favorable outcome on your behalf, and help you obtain maximum compensation.
If you or a loved one has suffered TBI due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another, the Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP personal injury team is here to help. We have been recognized by Super Lawyers and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum for our dedication to excellence and outstanding success.
Our Queens legal team appreciates the unique circumstances of each case and is dedicated to meeting the needs of every client. Don’t hesitate to reach out. Call us today at (212) 986-7353 to schedule a free initial consultation.