Every year in the United States, over 130,000 injuries and 5,000 fatalities occur in accidents with large trucks. Trucks over 10,000 pounds cause 25% of fatal car accidents despite being only 3% of registered vehicles. They can legally weigh up to 80,000 pounds and have the impact force of 20 cars. 35% of injuries from these accidents are catastrophic.
At Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP, our strength lies in advocating for individuals in Staten Island who have suffered from truck accident injuries. Our attorneys are highly respected for exceptional work. We’ve been acknowledged by Super Lawyers magazine and hold an “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Our service was highlighted in the Best Lawyers directory, and we’re members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. With over 50 years of experience, our attorneys have won hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients.
For a free consultation, reach out to us at (212) 986-7353 today.
Truck accidents can happen for many reasons, which often involve a combination of factors. Some frequent causes of truck accidents are:
- Aggressive Driving: Aggressive driving, such as sudden braking or road rage
- Distracted Driving: Using mobile phones, eating, adjusting the radio, or performing other tasks while driving
- Driver Fatigue: Long hours and busy schedules leading to impaired reaction time and judgment
- Impaired Driving: Operating a truck while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or certain medications
- Improper Loading: Improperly loaded cargo may shift while in transit, disrupting the balance and stability of the truck
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: Neglecting regular maintenance and inspections can lead to mechanical failures, such as brake failures or tire blowouts
- Roadway Defects: Poor road conditions like potholes, uneven surfaces, or inadequate signage
- Speeding: Speeding truck drivers have a higher risk of accidents due to reduced stopping and maneuvering ability
- Tailgating: Driving too close to other vehicles decreases a truck driver’s ability to react quickly, raising the possibility of a rear-end crash
- Unsafe Lane Changes: Changing lanes without signaling, checking blind spots, or accurately assessing the speed of other vehicles
- Weather Conditions: Adverse weather conditions like rain, snow, ice, or fog can reduce visibility and road traction
Accidents involving trucks can occur due to varying reasons, such as negligence from truck drivers and other drivers, trucking companies, cargo loaders, manufacturers, maintenance providers, road infrastructure authorities, and government agencies. Truck accidents may also be caused by severe weather and environmental conditions. A comprehensive investigation is crucial for identifying the precise cause and any responsible parties.
Truck accidents can result in serious injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Bone fractures
- Internal injuries
- Limb loss
- Severe burns
- Spinal injuries
- Facial and disfigurement injuries
- Emotional trauma
It is possible to receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, disability and impairment, emotional distress, loss of consortium, and punitive damages. It is critical to consult a knowledgeable truck accident lawyer in Staten Island who can assist with navigating the legal process.
If you find yourself dealing with the consequences of a truck accident, it is important to have an experienced truck accident with your best interest in mind. Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP is committed to fighting for the compensation you rightfully deserve. You can trust us to be your dedicated advocates.
Our Staten Island personal injury attorneys will meticulously prepare your case, scrutinizing every fact and studying relevant laws. We will collaborate with medical experts and witnesses to construct the strongest case on your behalf.
To schedule a complimentary consultation, call us at (212) 986-7353 today.