The busy New York borough of Staten Island is teeming with activity. As a result, injury accidents occur every day – many very serious or fatal. Those injured in an accident face physical, emotional, and financial ordeals for extended periods of time. If you or someone you care about has sustained an injury caused by another party, you might be eligible to receive compensation for your damages by filing a personal injury claim.
Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP, consists of top personal injury attorneys in Staten Island who are committed to helping you recover. We work tirelessly to provide you with the legal representation you need and ensure that you achieve the best possible outcome for your situation. Don’t hesitate to call us at (212) 986-7353 for a free case evaluation. Our attorneys are standing by— let’s see how we can help.
Under New York law, individuals injured as a result of the negligent conduct of another person are entitled to legal damages that compensate them for the harm done to them personally. Lawsuits involving personal injuries come in a variety of forms, including:
- Construction site accidents: Sites with construction equipment and heavy building materials can lead to catastrophic injuries
- Car accidents: Forceful traffic collisions caused by negligent driving can lead to severe injuries
- Truck accidents: Massive trucks can lead to equally large collisions, resulting in potentially disastrous harm
- Pedestrian accidents: Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable to injuries caused by negligent driving
- Medical malpractice: Medical providers who perform negligent medical practices that lead to injury or death
- Bicycle accidents: Bicyclists are extremely vulnerable to injury from negligent drivers
- Motorcycle accidents: High speeds plus greater driver exposure can equal a major risk of injury where negligence is involved
- Wrongful death: Negligent or reckless conduct leading to death
- Slip-and-falls: Accidental injuries resulting from hazards and defects on another individual’s land
- Defective products: Products sold to consumers that are defective in their design or manufacture that lead to injury
Persons—including individuals as well as business and governmental entities—who negligently or recklessly injure another individual are liable to pay damages that compensate for the injured party’s medical costs, loss of income, lost earning capacity, as well as pain and suffering. Landowners, car manufacturers, maintenance providers, trucking companies, and cities can be held liable for personal injuries.
Generally, persons are legally obligated to exercise reasonable care to avoid injuring others due to negligent behavior. Liability for negligence can be determined by statute, regulations, and common law rules that apply the legal concept of “duty of care.” This concept encompasses the legal obligation to use reasonable care to avoid injuring another individual.
Typically, the injured party has standing to file a personal injury lawsuit against the offending party. However, in situations where someone perishes as a result of the wrongful conduct of another person, the deceased’s surviving family may have standing to seek damages from the responsible party.
Compensation for wrongful death can be claimed by different parties depending on the circumstances. In the case of a surviving spouse, they have the first right to bring a wrongful death claim. If there is no surviving spouse, the surviving children of the deceased can file a wrongful death claim. If there is no surviving spouse or children, the surviving parents of the deceased can file a wrongful death claim. However, if there is no surviving spouse, children, or parents, the personal representative or executor of the deceased’s estate can bring a wrongful death claim on behalf of the estate’s beneficiaries.
An experienced attorney is crucial in preparing a personal injury case and facilitating the litigation process. Skilled lawyers with experience in personal injury matters can pinpoint legal issues with laser focus, gather crucial evidence, negotiate with insurance providers, and advocate for the injured party’s best interests before the court and against opposing counsel. Importantly, attorneys have a sophisticated understanding of the legal and procedural intricacies associated with a personal injury case.
If you have been injured due to the negligence or wrongdoing of someone else, don’t hesitate to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer. The Staten Island personal injury attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP won’t stop fighting until you receive the compensation you deserve.
We offer a free consultation and are dedicated to protecting your future. Your recovery is our top priority. If you have sustained serious injuries, it’s time to have an attorney on your side who gets results— contact us today at (212) 986-7353.