Motorcyclists in Staten Island have opportunities to ride through the Catskills, Acadia National Park, the White Mountains, and other scenic routes. Motorcycles can be an easier way to move around the city in congested traffic. Although they make up only 2% of all registered vehicles in New York City, motorcycles account for nearly 14% of all traffic fatalities, as reported by the NYC Department of Transportation (NYC DOT). The fatal motorcycle crash rate within the five boroughs is near twice the rate for New York State.
Most motorcycle accidents in New York are caused by the negligence of other drivers. If you have been injured in a Staten Island motorcycle crash that was not your fault, call Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP for dedicated legal guidance and support. Our experienced personal injury attorneys have been awarded membership to the National Trial Lawyers Top 25 Motor Vehicle Trial Lawyers Association and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, as well as been recognized by New York Super Lawyers. We are proud to have recovered more than $1 billion in compensation for our clients.
If you were in a motorcycle accident, we want to hear what happened. Contact us at (212) 986-7353 to schedule a free consultation today.
Most injury motorcycle crashes in New York involve another vehicle, with visibility as a contributing factor, as stated by NYC DOT. Motorcycles are smaller, less visible, and less stable than four-wheeled passenger vehicles. Many motorcycle collisions are caused by drivers who fail to see motorcycles in their blind spots or simply fail to register their presence in the roadway. Common causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Unsafe lane changes
- Negligent left turns at intersections
- Dooring – when a passenger vehicle occupant opens a car door into the path of an oncoming rider
As they lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, riders are vulnerable to severe injuries in a crash. Common injuries in motorcycle accidents include:
- Head trauma and brain injuries: Even when helmets are worn, traumatic brain injury (TBI) is common when a rider is thrown from the bike in a crash.
- Arm injuries: A rider thrown from a bike will instinctively brace for impact with their arms. This can lead to broken bones, nerve damage, and other serious injuries.
- Lower extremity injuries: The legs, hips, knees, and feet are commonly injured in motorcycle accidents from the impact of the collision or when the rider is thrown from the bike. Bone fractures, muscle damage, and other trauma can occur.
- Back and spinal injuries: A rider’s back and spine have little protection in a motorcycle crash. Back and spinal injuries can lead to chronic pain. Severe damage to the spinal cord can cause full or partial paralysis.
- Road rash: A common injury in motorcycle accidents, road rash occurs when a rider who is thrown from the bike slides across the road, scraping skin away. It can be extremely painful and lead to serious infections.
Motorcycle accidents can cause serious injuries that may require extensive treatment. Your best chance of being fully compensated for your losses is to have an experienced attorney handle your case. Your Staten Island motorcycle accident lawyer will fight for just compensation on your behalf that covers the complete amount of your injuries and losses, which may include surgeries, physical therapy, and long-term care. If another driver caused your motorcycle crash and injuries, you may be entitled to seek compensation from the at-fault party.
You can count on the Staten Island auto accident attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP to fight effectively for the justice you deserve. We have more than five decades of experience and an impressive track record. Our firm was named among the Best Law Firms for 2022 by U.S. News & World Report.
Contact us at (212) 986-7353 today. Let’s see how we can help.