Legal Help for Injury Victims in Brooklyn
Personal injury is a legal term for injury inflicted on a person’s body, emotions, or reputation. A personal injury claim can be brought on the grounds of negligence, strict liability, or intentional wrongdoing. Injured parties may be entitled to seek compensation for their economic and noneconomic losses.
Our Brooklyn personal injury attorneys are known for experience, compassion, and results. We believe in investing in our clients’ cases for the best possible outcomes. Our firm has recovered more than $1 billion in compensation for our clients. If you have suffered a serious injury that was someone else’s fault, get in touch with us to find out how we can help.
What Types of Accidents and Injuries Can Lead to Personal Injury Lawsuits?
Any accident or injury caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing can give rise to a personal injury claim. Common types of accidents that lead to personal injury lawsuits include:
- Car accidents: Automobile accidents are a frequent occurrence in Brooklyn. While some car accidents are minor “fender benders,” others cause severe, disabling injuries. Head-on collisions, T-bone accidents, rollovers, and rear-end collisions are some of the most serious types of car accidents.
- Truck accidents: With the dramatic increase in e-commerce, large commercial trucks are clogging the nation’s roadways. Passenger vehicle occupants can suffer serious or fatal injuries in a collision with a semi tractor-trailer. Negligence on the part of trucking companies and the drivers they hire can put everyone on the road at risk.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycles are smaller, less visible, and less stable than four-wheeled passenger vehicles. Lacking the protections of an enclosed vehicle, riders are vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. Many motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligence of other drivers.
- Bicycle accidents: Nearly 1,000 cyclists are killed and more than 130,000 are injured in traffic crashes every year in the U.S., as reported by CDC. In 2020, 932 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles, representing a 50% increase since 2010, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- Pedestrian accidents: Walking is a healthy, eco-friendly way to get around the city, but it can also be risky. In 2021 in New York City, 123 pedestrians were struck and killed by motor vehicles, as stated by NYC. When a 4,000 pound passenger vehicle hits an unprotected pedestrian, it can cause serious injuries or death.
- Construction site accidents: Construction sites are among the most dangerous places to work. Workers routinely face the risks of falling from heights, being struck by heavy equipment or materials, electrocution, trench cave-ins, collapsing structures, and exposure to toxic materials.
- Medical malpractice: In 2021, insurance companies paid out more than $3 billion for medical malpractice claims in the U.S., as reported by Diederich Healthcare. Medical error is a leading cause of injury and death. Negligent medical providers can be held accountable for the harm they cause.
- Wrongful death: When someone’s negligence or wrongdoing causes the death of a person, surviving family members can seek justice for their loved one and hold responsible parties accountable through a wrongful death claim for compensation.
How Can a Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorney Help?
After a serious accident caused by the negligence of another, our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP can investigate to determine fault and liability, gather evidence to support your claim, assess the full extent of your damages, and vigorously pursue the maximum compensation available for your injuries.
Our firm has the resources to work with outside experts and private investigators to get you the recovery you deserve. Call us at (212) 986-7353 to schedule a free initial consultation.