Although any kind of vehicle collision can be frightening, few accidents are as traumatic as a rollover. In a rollover, one or more vehicles roll or topple over – sometimes ending up on their roof, or completely rolling back onto their tires. People inside the vehicle can be injured by objects that come loose and strike them, or by being ejected from the vehicle as it tumbles.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a rollover accident, don’t wait – call Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP, at (212) 986-7353. Our NYC car accident lawyers will investigate and see if there’s compensation out there for you, and help you get it.
Although certain vehicles have a reputation for rolling over, in reality any type of vehicle can roll in a crash. However, vehicles that are commonly involved in rollover accidents include:
- Sport utility vehicles: SUVs and crossovers are notorious for their involvement in rollover accidents, especially older models. They were designed without sufficient lower weight, making them top-heavy and more prone to rollovers.
- Vans: Different types of vans can also roll over, especially when they are designed to transport cargo and are not loaded. Their narrow design and height make them more prone to rolling over than a lot of other vehicles.
- Commercial trucks: Large commercial trucks can also overturn, especially during other types of accidents like jackknifing or runaway trailers. These vehicles need to be properly maintained and loaded up to keep them safer.
- Pickup trucks: Although a lot of pickup trucks are built to have a low center of gravity, they can be involved in rollover accidents, especially with an inexperienced driver.
- Recreational vehicles: RVs are designed like commercial vans, with a narrow width and a lot of height. This gives them a higher center of gravity, which makes them more likely to roll over.
- All-terrain vehicles: Although ATVs are designed to handle any kind of terrain, their light weight can make them dangerous. When navigating inclines and declines, inexperienced drivers can topple over, and the lack of protection can make such rollovers very dangerous.
There are a number of reasons for rollovers, including:
- Tripping: Just as a person can trip and lose his footing, a vehicle’s tires can turn too suddenly or encounter rough terrain that causes the vehicle to trip over the tire. This can cause a rollover accident.
- Excess speed: About 40% of all fatal rollover accidents involve a driver going too fast, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. Most of the time, this occurs in an area with a posted speed limit of 55 mph or higher – so going fast makes a rollover more likely.
- Alcohol: Almost half of all rollover accidents involve alcohol, according to the DOT. This is particularly common in single-vehicle rollovers where driver behavior is one of the major crash factors.
- Other drivers: The majority of rollover accidents are single-vehicle crashes, but not all of them. Sometimes other drivers can strike a vehicle and cause it to roll over, or push a vehicle off the road, causing it to trip.
There are many different ways in which a rollover accident can occur, and they can be complicated to fully understand. The road itself often plays a part in causing the rollover, as does driver behavior, vehicle design, and other factors when more than one vehicle is involved. This is why it is so important to have an experienced New York rollover accident attorney to represent you and determine exactly what happened to cause the crash.
If you or someone you love has been in a New York rollover accident, do not suffer in silence. Call Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro, Moses & Halperin, LLP, at (212) 986-7353 right now to talk about what happened and discuss your options.
Pursuant to the New York Jury Verdict Reporter, WRSMH attorney Frank J. Lombardo obtained the highest recorded verdict in the State of New York for a single level cervical discectomy.
WRSMH attorney was able to obtain a jury verdict in the amount of $6.2 million on behalf of our client, a 60-year-old Brooklyn woman involved in a motor vehicle accident.
WRSMH attorney Bryce Moses obtained a verdict in the amount of $5,500,000 for our client who was exiting the Staten Island Expressway when her motor vehicle was struck by a Con Edison van.
Jay Wechsler obtained an excellent result at the early stages of a case for two clients who were injured in a rear-end accident.
Attorney Jason Rubin obtained a large settlement for a man who was injured after being struck by a van while on a scooter.
Cliff Shapiro and another WRSMH attorney were able to obtain a settlement in the amount of $3,000,000 on behalf of a forty-five year old man from Queens who suffered injuries to his neck and lower back in a crash.
WRSMH settled the case of our client who was hit by an Access-A-Ride van after mediation and before trial for $2.9 million dollars.
WRSMH attorney obtained a $2.8 million settlement during trial for our client who was involved in a three car accident. The plaintiff was struck twice from behind in a rear-end collision involving two vehicles.
Konstantin Burshteyn represented a client, a passenger in a vehicle, who sustained multiple injuries in a sideswipe accident.
Phil Russotti and Kenneth Halperin obtained a settlement for our client in the amount of $2,750,000, in this case in which the plaintiff's motor vehicle was struck in the rear.
Philip Russotti, Kenneth Halperin
Douglas Milch obtained a large settlement for a group of individuals injured in a van accident in Queens on the Grand Central Parkway.
Kenneth Halperin obtained a combined settlement in the amount of $2,500,000 for a 66 year old woman and her 32 year old daughter who were injured in a motor vehicle accident.
Douglas Milch obtained a large settlement for a Queens County resident who was injured in a collision with a rental truck.
Michael Fitzpatrick obtained a large settlement for an immigrant, who was a passenger in a vehicle that was sideswiped in a Brooklyn.
WRSMH attorney recently settled a case for a client who sustained permanent neck and back injuries after being rear-ended in the Bronx.
Our client sustained multiple injuries as the result of a rear-end motor vehicle collision.
Konstantin Burshteyn successfully represented a client who sustained multiple injuries as a passenger in a rear-end accident.
Kenneth Halperin and another WRSMH attorney were able to obtain a settlement in the amount of $2,000,000 on behalf of our client, a 40-year-old woman from Kings County.
Kenneth Halperin and another WRSMH attorney were able to obtain a settlement in the amount of $2,000,000 on behalf of our client, a 45-year-old man from Queens County.
WRSMH was able to obtain a recovery after trial in the amount of $2,000,000 on behalf of our client, a 60-year-old housekeeper from Kings County.