NY Construction Fall Accident Lawyers Defend Your Rights
Fall Related Accidents and Injuries on a Construction Site
Some of the most serious construction accidents involve workers who either slip and fall during work or fall off a scaffold. These types of falls cause major injuries to construction workers. In fact, these are the types of injuries that most often result in death. Even when the worker survives, there are many tough challenges he or she is faced with such as costly medical bills, an uphill recovery battle and the loss of income during that results from missed work. Sometimes, you could even be left with a permanent disability - unable to work for the rest of your life.
How Do Construction Accident Falls Commonly Occur?
Fall injuries happen for a variety of reasons. The most common types of construction falls occur when a worker falls of a weak scaffold or malfunctioning equipment, falls off a ladder, slips and falls or falls after being hit by another falling object. Whatever the causes, the injuries can be devastating. The worker could suffer catastrophic injuries or broken bones. He or she could suffer brain injuries or even death as a result of the fall.
The Department of Labor and Occupational Safety and Health Administration have stringent rules for the construction industry. These accidents are entirely preventable. The following hazards cause the most fall-related injuries:
- Unprotected sides, wall opening and floor holes: These are found almost in any construction site, but the key is to use the appropriate guardrail, safety net and fall arrest systems, especially when workers are doing their jobs at a height of 6 feet or more.
- Improper scaffold construction: All scaffolds must be constructed according to manufacturer’s instructions. Again installing appropriate guardrail systems and fall arrest systems will go a long way to protect workers.
- Unguarded protruding steel rebars: These iron bars, which are a common sight in any work site, should be bent over or protected with caps so a worker cannot be impaled by falling on them.
- Improper use of portable ladders: Falls from ladders can cause injuries ranging from sprains to deaths. The risk of falling off portable ladders increases if ladders are not positioned safely or if they are placed on an uneven surface.
Ladder Falls - A Tremendous Danger
One of the greatest dangers at any construction site is ladders, falls from which can result in serious injuries with potentially long-term consequences. When properly maintained and set up, ladders are quite safe and can be used to reach areas that are not accessible otherwise. If a construction company does not properly maintain and replace ladders regularly, however, then they can become dangerous to use.
Proving that a fall from a ladder was caused by negligence on behalf of a construction company can be quite difficult, however, so an experienced NY personal injury lawyer is often necessary to make a strong case. When negligence is demonstrated, however, the results can be quite beneficial for an injured party dealing with medical bills and other expenses, not to mention pain and suffering. Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP has worked vigorously on the behalf of numerous injured parties to receive compensation for their injuries:
- $11.1 Million Verdict - Following a ten-foot fall from a ladder, Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP were able to obtain a verdict of over $11 million for a construction worker at a New York high school. Our client struck his head after falling from the ladder, which resulted not only in serious medical expenses, but also in severe changes in his personality and psychological wellbeing. Proving these changes required the testimony of a neuropsychologist, psychiatrist, and other professionals. Despite a vigorous defense against our client's lawsuit, we were able to win fitting compensation for our client's pain and suffering.
- $2.4 Million Settlement - While working in a building, a plumber fell about ten feet from a ladder and suffered serious physical injury as a result. We were able to demonstrate that the ladder was old and not properly maintained, which made it unsafe for our client to use during work on the roof. This resulted in the fall that required extensive medical treatment, including arthroscopic surgery and the insertion of a screw to reduce a fracture. By demonstrating the extent of these injuries, and the liability of the company involved, we obtained a settlement of over $2 million following mediation, without the need of a lengthy trial.
- $1.75 Million Verdict - After falling about six feet from a ladder while drilling holes in a ceiling, a plumber suffered extensive physical injuries. We demonstrated that the ladder was not properly maintained and that additional protective devices should have been supplied to keep our client safe while working on the site. This negligence made the defendant liable for our client's injuries, which required arthroscopic surgery and lumbar surgery to properly treat. Fortunately, our client was able to return to work and not lose earnings due to his injury, but he still received a verdict of well over $1 million to pay medical expenses and compensate him for his pain and suffering.
These types of injuries from ladder falls are all too common, usually due to faulty equipment or a lack of proper safety gear and devices at a work site. Such negligence is not only dangerous for workers, but grounds for liability if an accident and injury does occur. Do not suffer in silence. If you have been injured due to a fall from a ladder, it might not have been your fault. Your employer should keep the site safe, which includes proper maintenance and replacement of ladders, and safety equipment to minimize injuries when an accident does occur.
Disability payments may not be enough to cover all of your medical expenses and loss of income due to serious injuries. Before you sign anything or agree to a settlement, discuss your case with us to make sure you understand your rights and know your options.
Call a NY Work Injury Lawyer at (212) 986-7353 Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a fall accident at work, it would be in your best interest to retain a law firm with experienced NY construction site accident attorneys to represent you and help protect your rights. In some cases, where the employer or contractors negligence is apparent, you may be entitled to significant compensation. Contact Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro and Halperin today for a free consultation.
- What Kinds of Construction Accidents can Cause Paralysis?
- Dangers of Scaffolding on New York Construction Sites
- Department of Labor and Occupational Safety and Health Administration
NY Construction Site Fall Accident Verdicts & Settlements
$11.1 Million - Construction Accident: Fall from Ladder Causing Brain Injury
$8.2 Million - Construction Accident: Fall Resulting in Paralysis
$7.25 Million - Scaffolding Fall Accident: Fall from Ladder
$2.4 Million - Construction Accident: Fall from Ladder
$2.1 Million - Laborer Fell through Floor
$2 Million - Five Story Fall on Job Site
$1.9 Million - Fall from Upper Floor During Home Building
$1.75 Million - Workplace Accident: Fall from Ladder
$400,000 - Construction Accident Ladder Fall
Contact Us: Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured, it is important to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Contact the New York personal injury attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP today for a FREE, no obligation consultation today: