New York Birth Injury Attorneys Provide Legal Help For Families
Birth Injury Litigation
Doctors and hospital workers are legally and ethically obligated to provide highly skilled care to every patient they help. And that is especially important when it comes to birth and ensuring that a newborn child is brought into the world without harm or other debilitating conditions. Unfortunately, negligent and reckless actions by medical caregivers lead to thousands of serious birth injuries every year.
Injuries sustained during birth can cause newborns to suffer lifelong disabilities, changing their life from the very start. But as the parent of a child harmed during birth due to the wrongful actions of healthcare providers, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the people that harmed your infant and to gain compensation that will pay for the decades of medical care that your child will need.
Get in touch with the New York personal injury lawyers at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP by calling (212) 986-7353 and receive a no-cost consultation on your case. The insight you gain will help you make the right decisions and protect your child's future.
What Caused My Child's Birth Injury?
Childbirth is a delicate process, but doctors who deliver babies have undergone extensive training and should have years of experience handling the various complications or unique circumstances of birth. With so much preparation, there is no excuse when your child is injured during birth.
Unfortunately, there are countless ways in which a doctor can act negligently and cause severe injuries to a newborn child. Typical causes of birth injury include:
- Delay in delivery
- Delivering a child too quickly
- Failing to recognize complications during labor
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extraction
- Not performing a Cesarean Section when needed
- Not performing emergency procedures to solve complications
Any of these reckless actions can quickly lead to injuries. However, most parents do not know when these acts of negligence occur, as they are not trained like medical workers and trust that doctors will provide proper care for them and their child.
You may suspect that malpractice led to a birth injury, but you will not be certain until you find evidence and investigate the incident.
What Damage Results from Birth Injuries?
Newborns are in a vulnerable state as they are delivered. As such, the birthing process must proceed at the right pace and with as few complications as possible. It is the responsibility of doctors to ensure that children and their parents are properly cared for at all times during birth so that dangers can be eliminated.
When doctors act recklessly, such as in the manner listed above or otherwise, many different injuries can be suffered by the child, including:
- Cerebral Palsy – Brain damage, due to physical injuries to the skull during birth, lack of oxygen, or other complications in delivery can lead to cerebral palsy. An affected child will have permanent physical disabilities, including difficulties in development and movement.
- Brachial Plexus Injury – Many infants suffer complications during birth when their shoulder is stuck behind the delivering mother's pelvic bone. However, doctors are trained to perform various procedures to solve this complication. Failing to do so will cause a brachial plexus injury, tearing and harming the nerves connected to the spinal cord and severely impairing function in one or both arms.
- Bone Fractures – Improper use of forceps or vacuum and other reckless actions taken by a delivering doctor can lead to bone fractures in an infant, which will need extensive care and may cause complications during growth.
- Asphyxia – If delivery is delayed, the child may be unable to breathe for an extended period of time. This asphyxia can easily cause severe brain damage, which leads to a wide variety of physical and mental disabilities.
- Spinal Cord Damage – Not recognizing complications during delivery, improper position of the infant during birth, and reckless actions taken during delivery may severely injure the child's spinal cord, causing severe physical disabilities for life.
The truly devastating nature of birth injuries is that because they are suffered at such an early age, they can cause health problems and disabilities that last a lifetime or cut a child's life short. Parents who have suffered such losses need to hold at-fault medical workers responsible to find compensation that pays for all of their child's needs while growing up and preventing other families from suffering like you and your infant have.
How Can a New York Birth Injury Attorney Help Me?
If your child has been injured during birth due to a medical professional's reckless actions, do not wait to get in contact with Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP. The sooner our New York birth injury lawyers can begin helping you, the better our chances are of finding needed evidence and successfully holding at-fault medical workers responsible. With our help, your child can have the best chance at recovery without overwhelming medical bills. To learn more, call (212) 986-7353 and receive a free consultation.
- Birth Injury Blogs
- Possible Compensation for New York Families After Umbilical Cord Related Birth Injuries
- What is Erb’s palsy and How Does it Happen?
NY Birth Injury Verdicts & Settlements
$12.085 Million - Birth Injury: Infant Suffers Severe Brain Damage
$10 Million - Failure to Timely Perform a Cesarean Section
$6 Million - Brain Damage
$4.75 Million - Brain Damaged Infant
$4.5 Million - Baby's Death
Contact Us: Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured, it is important to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Contact the New York personal injury attorneys at Wingate, Russotti, Shapiro & Halperin, LLP today for a FREE, no obligation consultation today: